What I'm Reading

Saturday, April 12, 2008

It's not Obama. It's the audience.

Michael Crowley thinks Obama is lucky that the "clinging quote" from his SF fundraiser was not caught on video. Maybe so, but I actually think the existing video is worse:



It would be hard for any particular words to offend blue collar voters as much as the visual presented here. In a caught on spycam moment, Obama makes a joke about blue collar voters struggling to accept any message from "46 year old black guy" and elicits a hearty, knowing, cackle from group of wealthy San Franciscans. The message is clear: when you're not around, Obama and his rich SF friends are laughing about how backwards you are.

I can only take solace in the fact that almost nobody will ever see the attendees' Flickr pages (via Ben Smith). I also still doubt that this flap will doom Obama. But then again, I'm an Obama supporting San Franciscan.

No comments: